JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Cleveland Browns are set to open their preseason slate against the Jacksonville Jaguars tonight at 7 p.m. at TIAA Bank Stadium.
Cleveland (0-0) will play many of their starters to open up the game, the team announced Thursday afternoon. This will include embattled quarterback Deshaun Watson, barring a ruling on the NFL’s appeal of his suspension being handed down today before kickoff.
Time: 7:00 p.m. EDT
Where: Jacksonville, Florida – TIAA Bank Stadium
TV: ABC News 5/NFL Network
Radio: Cleveland Browns Radio Network
Jacksonville Jaguars (AFC South, 0-1)
- This is the first action Browns fans will see of their incoming rookie class. Most prominently, wideout David Bell is listed as the slot receiver on the unofficial depth chart and should see a large portion of reps.
- With Jakeem Grant Sr. out with a torn achilles, the kick and punt returner position is an open battle starting tonight. Impact plays there could swing a player into a larger role or a roster spot.
- The wide receiver position is thin, so younger players that stand out in the second half could have a decent shot to make the 53-man roster (i.e. Michael Woods)
- With Denzel Ward dealing with a foot injury, rookie cornerback Martin Emerson will see more snaps against the first team.
- Jacob Phillips returns to the field full-time after a torn bicep tendon kept him out for most of the 2021 season. He’s flashed on the field and at camp this summer and has a chance to take a starting position heading into the regular season.
- The only position truly up for grabs is the interior defensive line. Players will have to separate themselves from the pack in the preseason in order to gain playing time in the regular season. Jordan Elliot has had a good camp and looks to take a hold of the starting role this preseason.
- Jacksonville is coming off of a loss in the Hall of Fame Game against the Las Vegas Raiders.
- The Jaguars are under new leadership this season after the team fired Urban Meyer midway through the 2021 season. Former Super Bowl-winning head coach Doug Pederson was named head coach this offseason.
- This is the first time the Jaguar’s starters have taken the field under Pederson, as QB Trevor Lawrence and new wideouts Zay Jones and Christian Kirk try to turn around a bottom-level offense a year ago.
- The Jaguars have first-overall pick Travon Walker coming off the edge. The pick was questioned at the time, but he has the ability to make a difference in tonight’s matchup. He is joined by fellow first-rounder linebacker Devin Lloyd in what should be a revamped Jacksonville defense.
- Running back Travis Etienne will be taking his first snaps as a Jaguar tonight. A Lisfranc injury kept him out of action a year ago, but he is fully healed and ready to take his first NFL snaps today.
- Jacksonville head coach Doug Pederson served as a backup quarterback for the Browns in 2000 behind Tim Couch.
- Jaguars wideout Marvin Hall suited up in brown and orange for one game in 2021 where he registered one catch for 12 yards.
- The Browns and Jaguars have played 18 times, with Cleveland leading the series 12-6.
- Cleveland has traveled down to the sunshine state to take on the Jaguars nine times, with Jacksonville leading the series 5-4.